Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Google Docs

This web-based productivity site has intrigued me for some time. I have used it sporadically for collaboration, but have not used it enough to feel comfortable with it with my students. I am thinking getting my students to use this site would be a great idea, but problems with blocked sites and accessibility are issues that must be addressed. I need to talk with my tech support at school to see about making these more readily available.

Once those issues are resolved, then I would really like to see students using Google Sties to build their own online portfolios. We do portfolios each year with our students and being able to do them online, so they could take them with them electronically after they graduate would be awesome. Of course, the movement to electronic portfolios will not be an easy one to make...some of my students are not the "digital natives" we would like to be they are. They struggle to do basic keyboard entry and using Microsoft Word, etc. So, how can I help them to not only produce their writing, but then organize and set it up so they can develop their own website, their own portfolio? I am going to look further into Helen Barrett's work with electronic portfolios to see if she and her work can offer some insight that may be helpful. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment